The UCSC Broader Impacts Office is a pilot project funded by the Office of Research and the Deans of Physical and Biological Sciences, Baskin School of Engineering, and Social Sciences. The UCSC Broader Impacts Office is currently focused on assisting researchers with the preparation of high-quality NSF Broader Impacts statements for NSF grant applications.
The BI Office assists researchers in two key ways:
- Clarifies the formal and informal expectations by NSF to fulfill Broader Impacts requirements; and
- Proposes ideas and strategies to help faculty create their own activities or connect to existing Broader Impacts-related programs in creative and innovative ways.
Behind the scenes, the Broader Impacts Office is working to:
- Broker partnerships with programs on and off campus that can help faculty address Broader Impacts requirements;
- Collect and share information about Broader Impacts trends and best practices with similar services at other universities; and
- Find ways to bolster Broader Impacts programs on campus so that these programs can more capably assist PIs at the proposal stage.