Collaborative and Multi-Campus Research in the UC System

Research may involve more than one institution and be within the responsibility of more than one Institutional Review Board (IRB). If you are doing collaborative research with another institution, check first to see if both UCSC and the collaborating institution are considered to be "engaged in research". Institutions not engaged in research do not need IRB review for their project.

If you are engaged in research with an institution that is not part of the UC system, see Collaborative Research with Non-UC Institutions for more information.

If you are engaged in research with an institution that is within the UC system, a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) can be used.

Memorandum of Understanding
A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) can be used to allow human subject research projects to go through the IRB review process at only one UC location, rather than every UC campus where the research is taking place. This agreement does not apply to research that requires Full Committee Review or research regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Multi-campus research must be entered into UC's Reliance Registry. You will need to use the Reliance Registry to get initial, renewal, and modification approvals for any research projects involving more than one UC campus. For information on using the registry:
For further assistance with multi-campus projects, email ORCA.